Saturday, April 5, 2008

You know you are a grown-up when...


... you are excited about purchasing new flatware. When I was living in Chicago, I purchased some cheap cutlery at IKEA, and it served us well the past three years or so. However, four of the forks have experienced what the engineer in me would call "catastrophic failure," and a couple of the knives had the same fate. So, today we are going to Bed Bath & Beyond to purchase new cutlery. I wanted to get new cutlery months ago, but Deirdre would have none of it. I think that it has something to do with her being frugal. At least she let me look at the different styles of flatware a month or so ago when we were in BB & B.

3 comments:

Big Johnny said...

Ooooohhh...pinch me...I must be dreaming....

Come on Rachael...loosen up those purse strings...

(I should talk...my dishes are from a guy on my first ship who had to give up his bachelor set before getting married...26 years ago...)

Lisa said...

I used to have a television (pre-marriage) I bought from some hotel auction for $50. To date, it was the best television I've ever owned. Post-marriage, we have a gi-normous hi-def flat screen...and, you know what? Sometimes I still miss my old set, even the days after I was so irate at Comcast I cancelled my cable in a fit of girlishness and only got 3 channels. Long live rabbit ears and foil balls!!

By the way, your catastrophic failure is why I was leary about IKEA. We just bought a console table (see gi-normous hi-def flat screen, above), from IKEA. Hopefully the legs don't fall off anytime soon.

L.

Paul's Blog said...

I have had much better luck with IKEA furniture than flatware. Then again, the flatware from IKEA was $6.99 for a 20 piece set. We paid a shade more than that at BB&B for a new 20 piece set!

PK