Friday, April 11, 2008

I used to work for an Admiral...

But as of Monday, 28 April, I will be working for the General. Technically, I will be working for General Electric. Yesterday I received an offer letter from GE and today I accepted the position of Engineering Manager for the Systems Division of GE Aviation in Grand Rapids. Earlier today I received a call from my future boss, Hank, welcoming me to the GE Team. He said that he he was very excited that I accepted the position and that everyone in the group is looking forward to me starting work. When I was speaking to Hank I had to ask him, "So, when do I start? All of the acceptance procedures are done on line and I need to know my start date is." Hank told me that it takes about two weeks for GE to generate a pay record, personnel file, etc., before I can start working. Hank also told me that GE's policy is for new hires to start work on a Monday, so we decided that my start date will be on April 28.

A few moments ago, one of the other members of the team I will be joining, Larry, called me to welcome me to GE and to his team. Larry re-iterated how happy he and the rest of the team members were that I accepted the offer and that "Everyone is looking forward to your arrival." I told Larry that I really appreciated the call and that I was looking forward to starting work at GE. Larry and I spoke about what I can expect my first week or two at GE, he told me that there is a group of people who run at lunch and asked me if I would be interested in joining that group. I told him that I was training for the 5/3 Riverbank Run and the I am definitely looking forward to running with them. Yep, this is going to be a great job.

However, this weekend I will need to write a few letters to the other organizations who have interviewed me but have yet to make me an offer. Between the job offer from GE, the notification from the VA that I am 30 percent disabled, it was a very interesting week for me in the Enchanted Mitten.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Of course, with whom will I now share stories about the drudgery of housewifery?

All kidding aside, way to go. You'll do a fine job. They're lucky to have you.

L.

Paul's Blog said...

L,
Thanks for the kind words. Thanks to the luxury of a cell phone, and the fact that we use the same carrier, I will always be available to commiserate with you about being a housewife!

PK

EK said...

Is the announcement of your hiring why GE's stock fell today and triggered a 2 percent drop in other stock indexes?

Congratulations!

Paul's Blog said...

I like to think that the market needed a correction, anyway, and that my hiring had little to do with the 13% drop in the value of GE common stock.

All kidding aside, I am really looking forward to working for GE. As Dee told me last night, "You will be working with a bunch geeky engineering people like you!"

Big Johnny said...

Eric...I think you're on to something there....GE hires a poetry major from Kalamazoo JC, and the market tanks....

Hey pauly old buddy...is yoir employee discount gonna extend to a nice stainless fridge for your friend and mentor in San Diego

(( :^)

Paul's Blog said...

John,
Eric is more of a poetry major than I am as he has a degree in English from U-M.

And the answer is no, I do not help "friends" who belittle my alma mater!

PK

P.S. Let me see how GE does its discount program. I might be able to help you.

Big Johnny said...

"Everyone is looking forward to your arrival."

Translation: "Boy, you oughtta see the pile of crap we're gonna throw on your desk...and we also elected you our United Way chairman."

Big Johnny said...

Just remember to use the proper cover sheet for yout TPS reports, and lock up your red stapler...

Unknown said...

So what exactly does GE engineer out there in western MI???

Paul's Blog said...

My official title is "Engineering Manager." This is a GE title for a program manager. Ask me this same question in about a month and I will have a better idea of what I will actually be doing!

I had to submit to a drug test today. One of the conditions of my hire is that I had to submit to a drug test w/in one business day of accepting th e offer. Boy, am I glad I did not start using marijuana, cocaine or opiates when I retired from the Navy!