Friday, April 18, 2008

Training

There is a Chinese proverb that says, "The longest journey begins with the smallest step." Yesterday, I began my journey in preparation for the 5/3 Riverbank Run. Normally, this preparation would not warrant a mention in this blog, as I have run this race four times in the past six years, but this time, it will be different. This time, I am running on my surgically repaired right knee. before I retired from the Navy, I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus in my right knee. I had surgery back in early September and spent the next month or so slowly recovering from the procedure. I did my rehab work, slowly walking greater distances each day. However, I did not jog or run at all. My knee was constantly a little sore, but nowhere near as painful as it was pre-surgery. Well, last weekend I met with my surgeon, who happens to be my neighbor, and I told him about my symptoms. He told me to go ahead and begin running again. I am happy to report that my knee feels great! I am going to the track at the nearby high school and I am well along in my training for the Riverbank Run. It feels great to get the endorphins pulsing through my veins once again!

2 comments:

Big Johnny said...

Join Runners Anonymous...

When you get the urge to run, you call your sponsor. He/she comes by with a six pack and drinks with you until the urge to run passes...

Lisa said...

Exercise too much and you'll end up like me...sitting in Orthopedic Associates of Grand Rapids and being told sooner or later you'll probably need a total knee replacement.

I'm with John. Drink more! :-)

L.