Thursday, November 22, 2007

TWENTY YEARS AGO TODAY



It is hard for me to believe it, but it was twenty two years ago today that I was commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy. I was sworn in as an "Officer Candidate" on 29 July, 1985, which is listed as my "Pay Entry Base Date" on all the documents related to my Navy career. When I decided to join the Navy, my plan was to serve for four years to get some "real word" experience, get out and then look for a real job. When I approached the end of my initial obligated service date (November, 1989) I had orders in hand to attend the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, so I had pretty much decided to stay in for at least another four years. Despite my best intentions, the Navy kept offering me jobs that were more interesting than the last, and when I was selected for promotion to Lieutenant Commander, I knew that I would make the Navy a career. Now, twenty two years later, I am officially retired from the Navy. On this anniversary of my commissioning, I look back at the places I have gone and the people with whom I served, and I could not have asked for a more rewarding career. I also want to thank Deirdre for being such a great "Navy Wife." She supported me throughout my career, looking after the house, the cars, the dog, etc., during all my time spent at sea and on deployment. It was an incredible ride, but I am happy to be "retired!"

No comments: