Tuesday, November 6, 2007

CIVIC DUTY


This morning I went to my polling place and voted There were only three issues on the ballot. The mayor of East Grand Rapids and a City Commissioner were up for re-election and they were running unopposed. There was also a millage proposal to allow for the building of a new gym at the high school. Thus, only one issue mattered on the ballot.

What struck me when I was driving home after I voted how too many citizens take this right for granted. This is an "off year", so there is not as much interest in this election. However, I thought it important to exercise my right to vote and express my opinion on the issues of the day. Certainly, next November will be a lot more interesting as we will elect a new President, a third of the Senate will be up for grabs as will the entire House of Representatives. Do not take your right to vote for granted. Get out there and be heard every election day.

No comments: