Thursday, May 8, 2008

DEB UPDATE & MY CALL TO THE STATE DEPARTMENT...

Deb is doing just fine. I saw her a few days ago. I stopped by her house after I went for a run at the track at Calvin College (I am preparing for the 5/3 Bank Riverbank Run this coming Saturday). She is putting weight on her leg and is now walking around with a single crutch. When I stopped by her house, she was on her riding lawnmower, cutting her grass. Dee will take her to her next appointment with her surgeon in a few weeks.

As most of you know, I received a call from the U.S. Department of State offering me the position of Director of the National Passport Agency. On the same day that I accepted an offer from GE, I wrote a letter to the person who interviewed me telling her to remove me from contention for consideration for the position. I also scanned the letter into a PDF and I e-mailed it to her so she would know immediately that I no longer wanted the job. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when I received the call telling me that I selected for the position. I called Nancy (who the women who interviewed me and who is the Director of Passport Services for the State Department) to tell her directly that had withdrawn my name from the competition for this position. I told her that I had sent her a "snail mail" letter as well as an electronic version of the letter. To wit, Nancy said to me, "I received both letters, Paul, but I did not understand that you wanted to withdraw your name from consideration." The call ended on a positive note and I wished Nancy well in her search.

Yep, I made the right decision to take the job with GE. Besides, the State Department does not offer discounts on appliances.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So, what you're saying is, to Nancy, no means yes?

Interesting take on the content of your letter. No wonder it takes so long to get a passport.

L.

Paul's Blog said...

Maybe it is a chick thing: No means yes and yes means no...