Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 4: Drywall Tales





Our craftsman Jim was here at his usual time this morning and he did not dilly-dally. He set right to work, with his goal today to have all the drywall up and installed so he can start to apply mortar and mud (not to be confused with Marble and Mud) first thing Friday morning. The photo to the right shows the insulation, studs and firring strips Jim had put up the day before. He installed even more insulation and the effect was almost immediate. This formerly cold and dank space was now warm and inviting, and he has yet to put up a single tile!

Jim spent a few minutes this morning installing the hardware for our first bathroom project. Jim expertly installed two hooks and a towel bar. I am happy to say that project is now complete!

It never ceases to amaze me the care and craftsmanship that Jim constantly exhibits at each point of this renovation. The best word I can use for him is persnickity. He will look at a joint or a piece of drywall or the shower base and say to me, "There is something not right with this. I need to add a few pieces of shim to make this square." He also came up with an idea that will make the even shower better. The contract called for two niches to be built into the shower, but after Jim looked at it he said to me, "You know, I can make a couple of corner shelves out of some scrap Corian we have back at the shop. I think that you might like having two small corner shelves instead of two niches."


All I could say to him was: "Sold!" He will now make a single niche in the shower, and install a couple of small corner shelves. It is actions like this that endear me to Jim and will make me keep using HWC for any future remodeling projects. Additionally, Steve the production manager stopped by yesterday and today to check on the progress of the job. It is apparent that HWC prides itself in the quality of its work.

Tomorrow will be a bit of "Hurry up and wait" as he will apply the first few coats of mortar to the shower and mud to the drywall. Updates
to follow!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Niches? We don't need no stinkin' niches!!

Wish I'd known about your contractors when I did the work on my Lyon St., house. Do they do any work in Arizona??

L.