Monday, December 17, 2007

Mortar and Mud... and Electricity


This is Day Seven of the project and the bathroom is really starting to take shape. Our master craftsman Jim spent most of the morning sanding down the mud he applied on Saturday and then applied some more mud. I guess that you could call it "finishing mud," as he is just about done with the "mud work" for the bathroom. Once he applied the last layer of mud, Jim began to apply mortar to the drywall surrounding the shower alcove and began to install the tile. Jim's attention to detail was clearly evident while he was putting the tiles in place. I watched him carefully measure and place the tiles, and he had to removed one tile because as he told me, "The tile was 1/16th of an inch out of line." I like his craftmanship!









Also today the rough electrical work was done. Yep, time to apply a little bit of Ohm's Law to the project. Paul the electrician came by in late afternoon and started to rough in the wiring for the lights over the sink, the two outlets (GFCI) by the sink, the can light over the shower and the light/vent fan and heater assembly. Much like Jim, Paul takes his work seriously and after looking at an electrical switch in our hall he said to me, "The switch in the hall is 51 inches off the floor. I normally install switches at 42-44 inches off the floor. Where would you like me to install the switches?" We settled on a height of 42 inches.



We are getting closer and closer to being able to paint the bathroom. Hopefully, Jim will give me the OK to paint on Tuesday night. Our friend Deb will be helping me complete this part of the project. Truth be told, I will be helping her! Deb is a fantastic painter and I know that with her help this part of the project will be a breeze. Now all Dee and I need to to is pick the color for the walls...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Let there be light!

L.

Big Johnny said...

" Now all Dee and I need to to is pick the color for the walls..."

Perhaps a nice ecru...

Paul's Blog said...

Actually, the color for the walls will be "Brushwood."