Saturday, October 18, 2008

Table & Chairs

The last major task of our kitchen remodeling project is about to be finished. Last week I started to stain the pedestal and table top for the "pub table" we purchased at Wood Source two weeks ago. Staining the table top took longer than I had planned, as it took the stain slowly. The top is adler wood, which is a soft wood from Canada. The project also took longer because I had to stain and clear-coat the top and bottom of the table top. Last night I applied the last coat of polyurethane to the table top and this morning I rubbed it down with a little 000 steel wool and I am happy to report that it is done. I brought the pedestal and top upstairs from the basement this morning and using eight wood screws, the table is ready for use.





As for the chairs, I started staining them on Thursday night. The chairs are made of parawood,
which is a very dense wood from southeast Asia. The are a softer hue than the table, as parawood is so dense that it does not absorb stain as readily as adler. I was able to apply three coats of stain to the chairs, and I figured that they would not get much darker. This morning, the chairs were dry and I started to apply clear polyurethane to them. I have been able to apply tow coats so far today and I am hoping to get on one more coat before the end of today. Regardless, the chairs will be ready to join the table no later than tomorrow.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks about ready for the maiden voyage. Oat pops all around.

L.

Big Johnny said...

You may not be handsome (Samson is the movie star), but you sure are handy. I may have to hire you for some home improvement projects...

Big Johnny said...

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

Yeah. What he said...

L.